Who Am I?
My name is Denis “Mister Knuckles” Magua and I am a lifelong martial artist. I am originally from Johannesburg, South Africa but am now living and instructing martial arts from my Mister Knuckles Gym in Toronto, Canada.
My first exposure to martial arts was, like many, a Bruce Lee movie. This occurred at approximately the age of 3. Most kids this age have no idea what their future holds for them, but somehow, I instinctively knew that martial arts would be a part of my life forever.
I started my martial arts journey at the tender age of five when I joined the local Judo club, followed by a brief practice of Tang Soo Do before discovering and settling in my home of ITF Taekwon-Do when I was 16 years of age. In conjunction with my Taekwon-Do training, I took up boxing for a time, but when it came to a point of getting really serious and having to choose between the two, there was no contest in my eyes and I have trained solely in Taekwon-Do ever since.
I am a martial arts instructor by profession and focus on teaching ITF Taekwon-Do (Magua Taekwon-Do School) and self-defense. I am, however, a lover of all traditional martial arts.
Greatest accomplishment – “instructing my students and seeing positive growth in their lives“
Some of my achievements include:
- 6th degree black belt ITF Taekwon-Do
- Certified ITF International Instructor
- Class A International umpire/referee
- Head Instructor/owner of Mister Knuckles Gym
- Co-founder and Vice-president of Taekwon-Do South Africa (TSA)
- Co-founder and co-head instructor of the Magua Taekwon-Do Club
- Multiple time South African champion in various divisions
- Medallist at three ITF World Championships (2001)(2007)(2014)
- Co-TSA National Team Coach
- Trained with and graded under some of the top Masters and Grand Masters in the world
- Self-Defence training specialist
- Author of two books, Mister Knuckles Martial Thoughts, and Self-Defence for Women
- Greatest accomplishment – instructing my students and seeing positive growth in their lives
- Head Instructor at Magua Taekwon-Do School, Toronto, Canada