My name is Denis Magua, a.k.a. Mister Knuckles. I am a lifelong martial artist. I teach martial arts from my Mister Knuckles Gym in Toronto, Canada.
Where it Began
My first exposure to martial arts was a Bruce Lee movie. This was at the age of 3 or 4 years old. Most kids this age have no idea what their future holds for them, but I instinctively knew that martial arts would be a part of my life forever.
I formally started my martial arts journey at the tender age of five when I joined the local Judo club. I followed this with a brief stint of Tang Soo Do before discovering my home in ITF Taekwon-Do when I was 16 years old. In conjunction with my Taekwon-Do training, I took up boxing. When it came to a point of getting serious and having to choose between the two, there was no contest in my eyes. I’ve trained solely in Taekwon-Do ever since.
I’m a martial arts instructor by profession and focus on teaching ITF Taekwon-Do (Magua Taekwon-Do School) and
Greatest accomplishment – “instructing my students and seeing positive growth in their lives“
I am a firm believer in the positive effects of practicing traditional martial arts. I am still learning, making mistakes and growing in training, and life.
Some of my Accomplishments
- 6th-degree black belt ITF Taekwon-Do
- Certified ITF International Instructor
Class A International umpire/referee
- Head Instructor at Magua Taekwon-Do School, Canada
- Founder and President of the National Taekwon-Do Council of Canada
- Co-founder and Vice-president of Taekwon-Do South Africa (TSA)
- Co-founder and co-head instructor of the Magua Taekwon-Do Club
- Multiple time South African champion in various divisions
- Medallist at 3 separate World Championships
- Co-TSA National Team Coach
- Trained with and graded under some of the top Masters and Grand Masters in the world
- Self-Defence training specialist
Author of two books: Martial Art Thoughts and Self-Defence for Women