One of my students sent me this story this morning. I have heard it before and always enjoy it. Whether it is true or not, I thought it would be worth repeating here.
The last wishes of Alexander the Great:
On his death bed, Alexander summoned his generals and told them his three ultimate wishes:
- The best doctors should carry his coffin.
- The wealth he has accumulated (money, gold, precious stones) should be scattered along the procession to the cemetery.
- His hands should be let loose, hanging outside the coffin for all to see!!
One of his generals who was surprised by these unusual requests asked Alexander to explain.
Here is what Alexander the Great had to say:
- I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal
- I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth…
- I want my hands to swing in the wind, so that people understand that we come to this world empty handed and we leave this world empty handed after the most precious treasure of all is exhausted, and that is TIME We do not take to our grave any material wealth, although our good deeds can be our travelers’ cheques. TIME is our most precious treasure because it is LIMITED. We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.
When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never take back. Our time is our life!
So my dear, the best present that you can give to your family and friends, including me, is your TIME. May you be granted plenty of TIME and may you have the wisdom to give it away so that you can LIVE, LOVE and DIE in peace.